Thursday, 19 April 2012

The grand ferret adventure

Maybe you've seen us walking with the ferrets and have wondered about them.  We certainly get a lot of questions, but I think that maybe a few or you are a little shy.....


So I'll start with a faq:

1) Do Ferrets make good pets?
They do if you know what you are getting into, and have the time to spend.  So many are given up to the pound because people just didn't expect what they got.

2) I hear the ferrets are stinky?
They can be, mostly the ones you see around here are from the US Marshal farms.  Their musk glands are taken out.  Also their pee can smell of ammonia.  If you are careful though, they will have a faint smell that you have to put your nose right up to them to get. 

3) I hear they bite a lot?
Again it's about you and how much time you can take to making them a good pet.  They will mostly all start off biting you.  It's how they play.  Once they realize that they are hurting us, they will stop, but you have to train them.  A loud OWWWW and withdrawal of attention seems to work well.

4) Can you liter train them?
Yes you CAN.  BUT it might or might not be difficult.  It depends on their early training (pet shop or ferret mother).  That being said, you might not ever really get them liter trained, it depends mostly on the training....

No comments:

Post a Comment